Prep 48 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious salsa recipe that my sister-in-law and I have adapted to a flavor combo that we like. It's thick and crunchy with fresh garden veggies. Each bite will start with a slightly sweet taste which is followed by a slow burst of heat. You can add more chopped ripe tomatoes to make it thinner or more jalapeno peppers or red pepper flakes to give it the heat explosion that you desire. From the kitchens of Michele Harvey Thornburg and Tona Thornburg Court.
- 18 -24 cups zucchini, chopped fine
- 8 medium sweet white onions, chopped fine
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped fine (remove veins and seeds)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped fine (remove veins and seeds)
- 10 -12 small jalapeno peppers, chopped fine with seeds
- 3 -4 banana peppers, chopped fine with seeds
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 4 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 6 -8 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 24 ounces tomato paste
- Day One: In a large bowl or stainless pan combine: zucchini; onions; green bell peppers; red bell peppers; jalapeno peppers; banana peppers; minced garlic; and 1/2 cup pickling salt. Mix together, cover, and let stand overnight.
- CAUTION: do not use an aluminum container for soaking or cooking -- the speckle ware pans or stainless will work well.
- Day Two: Rinse zucchini mixture thoroughly; drain well; and put into a large cooking pot. Then add dry mustard; garlic powder; cumin; white vinegar; brown sugar; red pepper flakes; 2 tablespoons of pickling salt; ground black pepper; chopped tomatoes; and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid sticking or burning. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Water bath jars for 15 minutes.
I made this last year and we loved it. My niece is begging for it again. My son told his wife he hated zucchini but we didn't tell him and he ate a lot of it. He even took some home! He doesn't really hate zucchini! Great recipe!
I followed this recipe almost to the letter and it turned out great! I was worried about it being too hot so I only put in 7 jalapenos but it turned out perfect for us.
Nice love it!