This recipe is from a friend's, daughter's mother-in-law (kinda like a 5th cousin twice removed and it is delicious! If you want it "HOT" just add a dozen finely chopped jalapenos. I do not water bath the jars but I am very careful with sterilizing and make sure the lids are sealed. I you feel better waterbathing them do it for 15 minutes.
- 10 cups zucchini, peeled & shredded
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- Day one:In a large bowl combine; Zucchini, onions, green pepper, red pepper and the salt Mix together cover and let stand over night.
- Day two.
- Next day rinse, drain well and put into a large pot then add mustard, garlic, cumin, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper flakes, salt,cornstarch, nutmeg, pepper, 1 tablespoon salt, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
- Water bath jars for 15 minutes if they have not sealed properly.