Recipe by Sage
I just finish preparing this gem again; fantastic, warm or cold; served as a salad or added to a sandwich; sprinkle on a bit of freshly grated Parmesan for an extra boost of flavour.
- 4 -6 zucchini
- 3 -4 onions
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- fresh basil or sage
- balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash 4-6 zucchini and peel 3-4 onions
- Slice zucchini horizontally, in strips about .5cm thick & slice the onions in 1.
- 1 cm strips.
- Toss zucchini and onions in a bowl with safflower oil,.
- a bit of pepper and a sprinkling of salt until covered with oil.
- reheat oven to 400 degrees
- Pull out one or two cookie sheets (depending on the quantity of your veggies)and keep in mind that initially, there seems a lot, but they do shrink when cooked.
- Line them with foil for easy clean-up and then coat them lightly with oil spray or just brushed on safflower oil.
- Pour veggies onto cookie sheet and spread out.
- Bake for 15 min, stir/turn veggies
- Bake another 15 minute
- If the veggies appear cooked but are still a bit pale, broil for 1-2 minutes keeping eye an on them until golden.
- As the veggies cool a bit, take 3 cloves of garlic. Clean and slice them. (It is useful to slice them in large enough slices so they add flavour but can be removed if someone does not want to eat the raw garlic!).
- Pick some fresh herbs: basil and/or sage work well.
- Place cooked vegetables in a glass bowl with lid following this pattern: layer of veggies- herbs & garlic slice - splash of balsamic vinegar- dash of salt
- Continue that layering system until all of the veggies are in the bowl.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight in order to enjoy the full flavour!
- Gently stir before serving.