Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Meatless, healthy veggie pizza using spices to marinate the zucchini for a spicy treat.
- 2 medium red peppers, roasted
- 8 ounces lowfat mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced very thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pizza crust (I use a Boboli crust)
- Preheat oven to 400. Place peppers in a food processor and pulse-grind into a paste. Spread thinly over pizza crust. Top with thin layer of cheese.
- Place thinly sliced zucchini discs in a small bowl and combine with remaining ingredients. Toss discs well to evenly coat with seasonings and let marinate. The zucchini discs will have a flavor similar to pepperoni.
- Arrange zucchini around the pizza, do not overlap them.
- Bake direcly on the oven rack or on a preheated pizza pan for 10 minutes.
- To Roast Red Peppers: Preheat broiler. Halve peppers and take out seeds. Place on a cookie sheet, skin side up. Broil until skins are black. Leave door ajar while peppers roast to let steam escape. Place blackened peppers in a paper bag and close tightly. Let stand 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Peel off skins.
- Can be roasted on a grill - but leave whole instead.
- 1 serving=2 slices.
- Can be used as a Carb Craver for LAWL.
This was a really good pizza! I used pre-roasted red peppers and added some diced onions to the toppings, but otherwise made it as written. I didn't think the zucchini tasted similar to pepperoni; they tasted like seasoned zucchini.(a good thing IMO) Since they were so thinly sliced, they cooked very nicely on top of the cheese. I baked it much longer (at least 20 mins) and used a thin crust. If I make it again I think I'll add a little extra Italian seasoning and maybe some parmesan. Thanks for getting me hooked on some new topping ideas!!