Recipe by august111966
I created this recipe after seeing a similarly prepared squash mac n' cheese recipe. I decided to try this out and see how it would go. After a successful few attempts, I've decided to share it with other. Important is having fresh ingredients. I also really push the romano-pecorino cheese in this recipe. It is a very salty cheese so the use of salt is really nonexistent in this recipe. If you're going to substitute, I would really recommend using parmigiano-reggiano or the highest quality freshly grated cheese you can find. However to each his own. It doesn't really matter, as long as it suits your tastes. =)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh grated romano-pecorino cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and garlic from a cold start.
- While the garlic is browning, cut your zucchini in half long ways. Take one of the halves and cut into small ¼ inch pieces.
- Once the garlic has browned, add your half-half, zucchini pieces, ½ cup of water, 1 tsp of basil and chicken bouillon to the olive oil/garlic mixture. Stir often until the mixture begins to bubble slightly. Once it is bubbling, allow to cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooking, take your other zucchini half and shred until you have about 1 ½ cups(more or less depending on your preference).
- Once the mixture on the stove has finished cooking, remove from heat and (CAREFULLY) pour into a blender. Blend until the mixture is about as fine as it’s going to get and place back in the saucepan, placing it over heat again.
- Stir in your freshly grated cheese as well as your ricotta cheese. Continuously stir for about 5 minutes, or until everything is nice and melted. Pour in the shredded zucchini. Let sit over your lowest heat setting for about two minutes. At this time, you can add more basil if you’d like. It’s not necessary.
- After about two minutes, remove from heat. Let it sit and thicken up a bit before pouring over your favorite pasta. I recommend using Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta, as it’s an enriched and low calorie option that tastes great!