Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
created for rsc 2004
Make and share this Zucchini Rice Torte recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup rye flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese, at room temperature
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup minced yellow onions or 1⁄2 cup white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- hot sauce (optional)
- for the crust:.
- Using a food processor or mixing by hand in a large bowl, combine the flours, salt and fennel seed.
- Add the butter and cheese and work into flour, mixing well until the dough forms a solid ball.
- Press dough in an even layer on the bottom and one inch up the sides of an 8 to 9-inch springform pan.
- for the filling:.
- In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Crumble bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings and return pan to heat.
- Add zucchini, onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until tender (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Remove zucchini mixture from pan and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, and remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and pour mixture into the pastry shell.
- Smooth the top with a flat spatula and bake for 55 minutes, or until golden brown and set (a knife inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Let stand at least 15 minutes, then loosen the edges by running a knife between the crust and the pan, and remove sides of the pan.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm or cold.
- serve with hot sauce-optional.