1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
created for rsc 2004
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated swiss cheese, at room temperature
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onions or 1/2 cup white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1for the crust:.
- 2Using a food processor or mixing by hand in a large bowl, combine the flours, salt and fennel seed.
- 3Add the butter and cheese and work into flour, mixing well until the dough forms a solid ball.
- 4Press dough in an even layer on the bottom and one inch up the sides of an 8 to 9-inch springform pan.
- 5for the filling:.
- 6In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon until crisp.
- 7Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- 8Crumble bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- 9Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings and return pan to heat.
- 10Add zucchini, onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until tender (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- 11Remove zucchini mixture from pan and allow to cool.
- 12Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 13Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- 14Add buttermilk, and remaining ingredients.
- 15Mix well and pour mixture into the pastry shell.
- 16Smooth the top with a flat spatula and bake for 55 minutes, or until golden brown and set (a knife inserted in the center comes out clean).
- 17Let stand at least 15 minutes, then loosen the edges by running a knife between the crust and the pan, and remove sides of the pan.
- 18Cut into wedges and serve warm or cold.
- 19serve with hot sauce-optional.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Rice Torte
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.1
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 180.6 mg
- Sodium 676.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 14.7 g