Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Quick Cooking Dec 2001 recipe. A very pretty side dish that goes well with a variety of meats.
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 591.47 ml fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 236.59 ml uncooked long grain rice
- 118.29 ml shredded carrot
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- In a skillet, saute basil and butter for one minute; then add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice and carrot.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini slices and simmer another 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
This was okay, but a bit bland for our tastes. The basil didn't come through very well, and I had to add onion and salt to give a bit more flavor. It was easy to tweak, and pretty and colorful, but could have been better.
Very nice recipe. The rice comes out with a bit of creaminess from the butter, and it is a great use for summer's bounty of zucchini. We ended up with 6 servings as a side dish. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
Reviewed for ZWT8 visit to France. Easy to make and made a great meal with a grilled chicken breast. I used gluten-free chicken stock/broth to make this meal gluten-free suitable. We really enjoyed this dish and its definitely a make again recipe for my family. Photo to be posted also.