Recipe by Tisme
I found this recipe years ago. Anyone who grows zucchin will know -- you are always looking for something different !!! If you like zucchini slice, heres another for you to try!! A great side dish.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Definitely a great way to use zucchini, it's not my favourite vegetable but it tends to be cheap and plentiful so I go on buying it! I didn't use the mushrooms, really don't like them, but otherwise, as directed, and it turned out perfectly, a very tasty 'quiche' and a lovely supper. Because we were only 2 I had some left, and that disappeared when my daughters boyfriend came to fetch her in the morning and said yes, he'd love a cup of tea and some quiche ..... no need to worry about leftovers in our house, ha ha! Thank you Tisme, loved this recipe. Incidentally, I did prepare rice especially for the recipe, but it was quickly done while I was busy with other prep, and I then had extra rice in the fridge ready for Fried Rice later in the week!
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 30 g butter or 30 g margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- cherry tomatoes, halves (optional)
- parsley sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan saute onion, mushrooms,.
- zucchini, basil and oregano in the butter or magarine on medium heat, until tender (not brown.).
- Stir in the rice, eggs, milk, and half the cheese (N.B. Half cheese). Turn mixture into a well buttered 23cm pie plate and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 180dg until set, approx 25 to 35 minutes.
- Let stand for 1o minutes before cutting. Garnish with tomatoes and parsley.