Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I just found this on delish.com and it looks different from all the other recipes posted here. I just can't wait until summer when I have so much zucchini I don't know what to do with! I am posting it here for safe keeping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, long grain
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups zucchini, Diced...and or summer squash (about one pound)
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces turkey sausage, casings removed
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour rice into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir hot broth into the rice along with zucchini (and/or squash), bell peppers, onion, and salt. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 35 to 45 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbling and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 1 1/2 cups Jack cheese and corn and cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage. Cook, stirring and breaking the sausage into small pieces with a spoon, until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- When the rice is done, stir in the sausage and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Jack cheese on top and dollop cream cheese by the teaspoonful over the casserole. Top with jalapeños.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.