Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious casserole created by Canadian chef Lucy Waverman. Although the recipe calls for zucchini, I think you could make it with broccoli with equally good results.
- 4 zucchini
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked rice
- In a large pot of boiling water, boil the zucchini until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and refresh with cold water until cool.
- Dice the zucchini.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, cook the bacon until limp.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, tarragon, basil, parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the zucchini to the rice mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Oil a 12x8-inch ovenproof baking dish and pack with the rice/zucchini mixture.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Lovely light, fresh tasting zuccini casserole. Delicate, and to me, illusive flavors. Can't wait to have the leftovers. Thank you for this recipe.
This was fabulous. Because I was serving it with soft tacos, I changed the parsley to mexican oregano and cooked the rice in chipotle chicken boullion. Also, since all our drinking/cooking water is bottled, I sliced and sauteed the zucchini instead of boiling it. And, since we like it HOT (food, NOT the weather), I used shredded pepper jack/cheddar blend cheese. This was exactly what I was looking for as a go-with to use up all our bounteous zucchini. We're not much of rice lovers, either, but this'll be on the books for a long time. Thanks!