Recipe by Irmgard
This is a delicious casserole created by Canadian chef Lucy Waverman. Although the recipe calls for zucchini, I think you could make it with broccoli with equally good results.
- 4 zucchini
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot of boiling water, boil the zucchini until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and refresh with cold water until cool.
- Dice the zucchini.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, cook the bacon until limp.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, tarragon, basil, parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the zucchini to the rice mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Oil a 12x8-inch ovenproof baking dish and pack with the rice/zucchini mixture.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted and bubbly.