Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 19 mins
Got this recipe from fitness.com. Very healthy! Tip: To remove corn from the cob: Stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. This technique produces whole kernels that are good for adding to salads and salsas. If you want to use the corn kernels for soups, fritters or puddings, you can add another step to the process. After cutting the kernels off, reverse the knife and, using the dull side, press it down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk. MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 5; cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. To finish, bake at 375 degrees F until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted, about 45 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain brown rice
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups diced zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 2 red bell peppers or 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese, divided
- 1 cup fresh corn (thawed) or 1 cup frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces turkey sausage, casings removed
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour rice into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir hot broth into the rice along with zucchini (and/or squash), bell peppers, onion and salt. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 35 to 45 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbling and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 1 1/2 cups Jack cheese and corn and cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage. Cook, stirring and breaking the sausage into small pieces with a spoon, until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- When the rice is done, stir in the sausage and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Jack cheese on top and dollop cream cheese by the teaspoonful over the casserole. Top with jalapenos.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.