2 hrs 40 mins
Zucchini Rice Casserole from eatingwell.com. We pack extra vegetables into this cheesy baked rice casserole. Plus we substitute brown rice for white, reduce the cheese by half and swap turkey sausage for pork sausage. If you're bringing it to a potluck, plan to reheat it before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups zucchini or 4 cups summer squash, diced
- 2 red bell peppers or 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces turkey sausage
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5; cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. To finish, bake at 375Â°F until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted, about 45 minutes.
- 2Tip: To remove corn from the cob: Stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. This technique produces whole kernels that are good for adding to salads and salsas. If you want to use the corn kernels for soups, fritters or puddings, you can add another step to the process. After cutting the kernels off, reverse the knife and, using the dull side, press it down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk.
- 3Preheat oven to 375°F
- 4Pour rice into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir hot broth into the rice along with zucchini (and/or squash), bell peppers, onion and salt. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 35 to 45 minutes more.
- 5Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbling and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 1 1/2 cups Jack cheese and corn and cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted. Set aside.
- 6Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage. Cook, stirring and breaking the sausage into small pieces with a spoon, until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- 7When the rice is done, stir in the sausage and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Jack cheese on top and dollop cream cheese by the teaspoonful over the casserole. Top with jalapeños.
- 8Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.2
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 34.7 mg
- Sodium 470.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g