Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Found on the Club Mom website in 2000. This is just one more way to serve zucchini to your family. It also can be made ahead and baked -- then cover tightly and refrigerate overnight to reheat the next day (375F for 20 minutes). This makes 12 servings so feel to cut in half to fit your needs.
- 2 lbs zucchini, thickly shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (based on your personal tastes)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F and grease or spray a 9x13" glass baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and saute until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and shredded zucchini and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until zucchini begings to wilt.
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring until the flour is absorbed.
- Stir in the milk, rice, 1/2 parmesan cheese, spices, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and pour into prepared casserole dish then sprinkle the top with the 1/4 cup leftover parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until golden and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10-20 minutes before serving.
We loved this recipe. The zucchini I used was quite juicy, and I had no problems with the cooking time. I found it to be flavourful and a delicious side that my whole family loved. Made for ZWT 8 France :)
We liked it, but had the same problem cooking it that Breezermom had. I would try again at a lower temp. for a longer period. Thanks HokiesLady
I halved the recipe, and I think I should have cut the temperature down on the oven for cooking as well. Mine was really brown and burnt around the edges in under 15 minutes, but the rice was still crispy. I expected to love this...I love zucchini, onions, garlic, cheese...but for some reason, this just tasted off to me. Maybe it was because I halved the recipe. Sorry for the less than positive review....especially when it may be because I halved the recipe. Made for Zaar 123 Hit Wonders Tag.