Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I don't know the original source of this recipe. My mother started making it probably 15 or 20 years ago. It is a Thanksgiving staple at our house. I will usually make a full recipe and split into two pans. The first we will have with dinner that night, the second will be cooked and once cool is wrapped in foil and frozen. To reheat, place back into the oven until warm.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups zucchini, scrubbed and shredded
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease a shallow 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet heat butter and oil. Add onion and cooke over meadium heat until tender. Add the garlic and zucchini. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir 5 minutes or until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with flour. Cook 1 minute. Stir in half and half, rice, 3/4 c cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.