Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This relish is so good and my family can't get enough of this. This recipe came from a dear old lady friend of mine years ago.
- 10 cups zucchini, grated
- 4 cups onions, cut fine
- 1 sweet red pepper, grated
- 1 green sweet pepper, grated
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- Add grated zucchini, onions, red and green peppers to a large pot and add 5 tablespoons salt (not iodized) and soak overnight in fridge.
- Drain and rinse and squeeze out water (like making a snowball).
- Make your syrup and bring to a boil and add the zucchini mix.
- Boil 15 minutes and jar in hot jars and water bath for 5-10 minutes.
Made this over the last two days. Is awesome! I will definitely make again. This recipe kinda reminds me of the corn relish I make and I bet corn would taste good in this as well. I also think that maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of cayenne would make it good as well.
This relish is fabulous! I've been making it almost like this for years and it's a family favourite. I play with the amounts of spices a little but the biggest change I make is in the amount of nutmeg - I reduce it to 1/4 tsp because I'm not fond of it. Excellent relish, which we use for sausage, hamburgers, and sandwiches. Thank you, muddy!
Wonderful recipe. Fairly easy to make, a food processor would definitely speed the grating process up. All in all, everyone LOVED it!