Prep 4 hrs
Cook 23 mins
There are lot of recipes for this, but I did not see this one. Also this is a smaller batch. From B&G canning mag. Prep. Time include 3 hours soaking time in salt.
- 5 cups zucchini, finely chopped (5 small)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped (3 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup green sweet pepper, finely chopped (1 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, finely chopped (1 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- cold water
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 -2 drop green food coloring (optional)
- In an extra large bowl, combine zucchini, onions, and sweet peppers. Sprinkle with salt, toss gently to coat. Add enough cold water to cover vegetables. Cover and allow to stand at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Drain using large colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
- In large pot, combine vinegar, sugar, 1/4 cup water, celery seeds, turmeric, and mustard seeds. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 3 minutes. Add drained vegetable mix and if desired, green food coloring. Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle hot relish into hot 8 oz sterlized jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Wipe jars and add lids.
- Process jars for 10 minutes, start timing once water is boiling.