Recipe by Callu
This is one of my favorite condiments and is a good way to use up some extra zucchini you may have on hand in summer. It seems like a lot of steps but I can do a whole batch in less than an hour and it is so YUUMY!
Top Review by Jar It!
This was so tasty I joined Recipezaar so I could let everyone know. I love to jar goodies from my garden and this recipe is a keeper! It is flexible (you can make it spicy or not) and far better than any relish you can but in a store. AND it uses zucchini from my garden!! The flavor literally made my mouth water. It also has some crunch and is a wonderful accompaniment to fish and pork. I even put some in tuna salad and it made it out of this world. I will definitely make it again.
- 2 cups zucchini (one extra-large one or 2 regular sized ones)
- 1 cup onion (I like red onion)
- 2 cups celery
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1 bunch green onion (about 5-6 stalks)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons dried dill weed
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon ketchup (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cayenne, sauce (I like Frank's(tabasco will typically be too hot, use less if you are not into the heat)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1⁄4 cup cool water
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice all veggies to the same size (think pickle relish). I usually use the slicer on my food processor and then switch to my regular blade and just give it a couple zaps. It is super quick and makes a nice dice.
- Blend water and salt into veggie mixture and soak 1 hour.
- Drain off excess liquid.
- In a saucepan blend together brown sugar, cider vinegar, mustard seeds, dill weed, ketchup (optional), & cayenne sauce (feel free to use less if you are not into spicy).
- Bring mixture to a boil & make sure sugar is dissolved.
- Add drained veggies to vinegar mixture.
- Boil about 4-5 minutes, stir frequently.
- In a small bowl mix together 1 T arrow root powder with 1/4 cup cool water.
- Mix well.
- Pour arrowroot mixture into the veggie mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Continue to boil relish on med-low for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Ladle into sterilized jars.
- Place ring and band while still boiling hot.
- Stores at room temp and is fantastic when used anywhere you might otherwise use relish.