1/1 Photo of Zucchini Relish
This is one of my favorite condiments and is a good way to use up some extra zucchini you may have on hand in summer. It seems like a lot of steps but I can do a whole batch in less than an hour and it is so YUUMY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups zucchini (one extra-large one or 2 regular sized ones)
- 1 cup onion (I like red onion)
- 2 cups celery
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1 bunch green onion (about 5-6 stalks)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons dried dill weed
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon ketchup (optional)
- 1/4 cup cayenne, sauce (I like Frank's(tabasco will typically be too hot, use less if you are not into the heat)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1/4 cup cool water
- 1Dice all veggies to the same size (think pickle relish). I usually use the slicer on my food processor and then switch to my regular blade and just give it a couple zaps. It is super quick and makes a nice dice.
- 2Blend water and salt into veggie mixture and soak 1 hour.
- 3Drain off excess liquid.
- 4In a saucepan blend together brown sugar, cider vinegar, mustard seeds, dill weed, ketchup (optional), & cayenne sauce (feel free to use less if you are not into spicy).
- 5Bring mixture to a boil & make sure sugar is dissolved.
- 6Add drained veggies to vinegar mixture.
- 7Boil about 4-5 minutes, stir frequently.
- 8In a small bowl mix together 1 T arrow root powder with 1/4 cup cool water.
- 9Mix well.
- 10Pour arrowroot mixture into the veggie mixture and blend thoroughly.
- 11Continue to boil relish on med-low for 1-2 minutes.
- 12Remove from heat.
- 13Ladle into sterilized jars.
- 14Place ring and band while still boiling hot.
- 15Stores at room temp and is fantastic when used anywhere you might otherwise use relish.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Relish
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.0
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7602.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 27.4 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flat leaf parsley