Recipe by puppitypup
Delicious! Once you've tried this, you won't be buying pickle relish anymore!
Top Review by MommiesTreats
Having never made home made relish before let alone zucchini relish, I am totally excited to say that this was a total success! It is very, very tasty!
I had a devil of a time finding Turmeric in my area, but finally found some. I didn't use as much sugar as the recipe called for and I am glad I didn't because it came out perfectly. It would have been way to sweet with all three cups. I used 1 cup of Splenda brand sweetener and 1 1/4 cups regular sugar. Everything else stayed the same. I also didn't make it to 8 jars, I did manage to get a beautiful five jars. Oh, and under the advise of my sister, who is sort of a canning guru, I water bathed it for six minutes just as a precaution.
Anyone wanting to dive into canning and try a great relish recipe should definitely try this one. Very easy and great flavor. I doubt I will ever use store bought relish again.
Thank you so much for this recipe!!!
- 10 cups zucchini
- 3 cups onions
- 4 red bell peppers
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate zucchini in food processor, along with onion and bell peppers.
- Mix salt in with vegetables in large plastic bowl.
- Let stand overnight.
- Next morning, rinse thoroughly in a large strainer and drain well.
- Place shredded vegetables in large heavy pan and add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and boil for 30 minutes.
- Pack and seal in hot sterilized jars.