Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is a sweet relish that is made from all the zucchini that people give you during the summer. I have been making this for a good many years. Once you make your own relish, you will never want to buy it. It calls for chopped veggies and I do chop them first, but then put them in the food processor for a couple of seconds. You do not want it mush, but I like it a tad finer than I can chop.
- 10 cups chopped zucchini (seeds scraped)
- 4 cups onions (chopped)
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 sweet green peppers (chopped)
- 2 sweet red peppers (chopped)
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Mix all the veggies and salt and let it sit overnight.
- Rinse and drain.
- In a large kettle mix the sugar and cornstarch together; mix well.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients.
- Bring to boil and add the veggies.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Seal in hot sterile jars; put the lids on and then put in a water bath for about 20 minutes.
Excellent!! I made a half batch with the large zucchini in my garden at the end of this summer. I loved it, Gave some to several of my friends... all wanted the recipe.... or most just wanted me to make more!!! They tried it on many things from hot dogs to salads and chicken....