Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a favourite of mine that I got many years ago from the Bernardin book. You can use the food processor but chopped looks nicer. I use this on hamburgers or as a side dish as well.
- 12 cups chopped zucchini
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup pickling salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 large hot pepper, chopped (optional)
- Place all chopped vegetables except the hot pepper into a bowl.
- Stir in pickling salt and let stand overnight, covered.
- Next day drain vegetables and rinse with cold water; drain and place into a cheesecloth, twisting to remove excess moisture.
- Place in large pot and add all other ingredients; bring to a boil. Boil gently about 45 minutes.
- Preparing your jars, use 6 clean pint mason jars and place the lids in boiling water.
- Ladle relish into hot jars about 1/2 inch from rim. Remove air bubbles with a spatula and wipe rim. Apply lid and band.
- Return water to boil process 15 minutes; remove and let cool.