Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Healthy muffin recipe from Gourmet Magazine (August 1993). It's even tasty to those who don't care for bran! If you don'r have miller's bran, you can use All-Bran cereal or wheat germ. You can omit raisins or substitute for other dried fruit such as cranberries or blueberries.
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup miller's natural bran (available at natural foods stores, specialty foods shops, and some supermarkets)
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- In a bowl whisk together the flours, the bran, the baking powder, the salt, the cinnamon, and the cloves.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter with the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in the vanilla.
- Beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, beat in the milk, and stir in the raisins, the walnuts, and the zucchini.
- Divide the batter among 12 well-buttered or paper-lined 1/2-cup muffin tins and bake the muffins in the middle of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Turn the muffins out onto a rack and let them cool.