Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This, with a vinaigrette salad, makes a great brunch or light dinner.
- 1 unbaked 10-inch pie shell (purchased or homemade)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄4 cups thinly sliced zucchini, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon, lightly crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- Brush pie shell with a little of the beaten egg to seal.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 5 minutes, until golden brown, and let cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In medium skillet, cook 2 cups zucchini and onion in butter until tender but not browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread evenly in pie shell and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Combine beaten eggs with all remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Pour over zucchini, and bake for 30-40 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with reserved zucchini slices.
This was delicious, we did have with a small salad. I will make again