Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe. I changed it just a little bit, because it calls for pecans, and my boyfriend can't eat them. This is wonderful for breakfast with cream cheese spread on it! High protein, low sugar, very nutritious!
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- place grated zucchini in colander and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. mix well and let sit at least 10 minutes. squeeze out excess water.
- grease a normal size loaf pan, or two small loaf pans. preheat oven to 350 f.
- combine both flours, 1/2 teaspoon salt, baking powder, baking soda, turbinado (or sugar), cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- in a separate bowl, combine the zucchini (be sure it has most of the water squeezed out), buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and butter. i find it is easiest to add the butter to the zucchini, mix it, and then add the rest. otherwise i accidently cook my eggs with the hot butter.
- add the zucchini mix to the dry ingredients. mix well. add the nuts and currants. mix well.
- pour into bread pan(s) and bake about one hour. i usually have to add another fifteen minutes if it is all in one pan, because the bottom is still so gooey.
I admit that I didn't make this as written, but I don't think the changes effected it too much. I used 2 cups of King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour instead of the recommended 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of soy flour. I also left out the pine nuts and currants because I don't care for them. This is a very moist, healthy quick bread that is easy to make and tastes great! Made for PAC Spring 2009.