Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was posted in our local newspaper, and my husband and I thought it sounded good. The recipe is very user friendly with the most work being the shredding of the zucchini and the potato. The work is well worth it though--trust me!
- Shred the zucchini into a bowl using the large holes of a box grater. Place the grated zucchini in a medium bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Transfer zucchini to a colander in a bowl and let zucchini drain at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes. Using your hands or a towel, squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Shred the potato into a bowl using the large holes of a box grater.
- In a bowl, mix together the onion, egg, and flour, and pepper to taste. Add zucchini and potatoes; mix well. Work quickly because the zucchini-potato mixture oxidizes and discolors once hit by the fresh air.
- Heat 2 to 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot enough to create a small sizzle, ladle the mixture into the pan to form six 4-inch cakes. Fry until golden on the bottom, 7 to 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the pancakes over until browned on the second side, about 6 minutes longer.
- Serve at once with a dollop of sour cream.
I had some steamed baby red potatoes left over, and I passed them through a ricer instead of using raw potatoes, and shredded my zucchini using a mandoline, but otherwise followed the recipe to a tee. These were amazing. They didn't even need sour cream.
These made for a very satisfying breakfast & I now have another must-make dish for my vegetarian son & DIL when they're here for a meal! Definitely a recipe I'll be keeping & sharing with others! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]
Made for Farmers Market Tag 2009. These were really good. DH and I loved them and DD turned up her nose at them (I knew she would). You could hardly taste the zucchini and I loved the way they crisped up on the outside. A great way to get potatoes and veggies all in one dish. Will make these again. Thanks for posting this!