Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium zucchini, scrubbed but unpeeled,cut into 1/2 inch cubes (1 cup)
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (1 cup)
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups low sodium chicken broth, as needed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh thyme, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic, and cover.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini and potato.
- Add enough broth to barely cover the vegetables.
- Add the thyme and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer, partially covered, until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and cheese.
- Heat until very hot, but do not boil, or the soup will curdle.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and sprinkle each serving with thyme.
- Pass extra Parmesan cheese on the side.
- Serve hot.
Just didn't do it for me. No flavor, I even added bacon, corn and cheese just so my family would eat it.