Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This soup is really great tasting. It is from my Art Smith cook book. Enjoy!
Make and share this Zucchini Potato and Parmesan Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium zucchini, scrubbed but kept unpeeled,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (1 cup)
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the onion, celery and garlic, and cover.
- Cook stirring often, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and potato.
- Add enough broth to barely cover the vegetables.
- Add the thyme and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender about 15 minutes.
- Stir in evaporated milk and cheese, heat until very hot, but do not boil, or the soup will curdle.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
My family and I enjoyed this soup, but I needed to make a few adjustments in ingredients based on what I had on hand and for our taste. I used 12 oz can lowfat evaporated milk, 4 cups chicken stock, 3 sprigs fresh thyme, 3/4 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, and a heaping 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Had a nice comfort food taste. Thanks for the inspiration.