Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Spicy Savory Zucchini. From Healing Heart Foundation.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 cups zucchini, cubed (Italian squash or courgette)
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas or 1 cup fresh peas
- 3 pinches cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Saute onions, red pepper, garlic, and celery in a few T of water, veggie broth or balsamic vinegar for a few minutes, until tender.
- Add tumeric, ginger, cumin and zucchini. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, peas and cayenne pepper and cook until zucchini is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Can be a main dish on its own or serve over pasta or rice.
This was so good I loved the combination of spicy flavors. I used yellow patty pan squash and omitted the peas and bell peppers and sauted in balsamic. It was simple, quick and amazingly good!
This is my boyfriend's favorite dish. He loves it over pasta or rice and always gobbles up the leftovers. This is also an excellent way to get more than enough veggies into your diet.