Recipe by collettem
This recipe originally appeared on budgetbytes.blogspot.com Super easy to make and very tasty.
Top Review by loof
Tasty zucchini dish! Very pizza-like with the herbs and cheese. Served this as a side dish but it would make a great quick and easy vegetarian meal too. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2014
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (2 ounce) can black olives (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash zucchini well, then slice lengthwise.
- Scoop out the zucchini flesh from each half using a spoon, leaving the halves about a centimeter thick. Save the scooped zucchini in a bow.
- Place the hollowed zucchini pieces on a baking sheet.
- Chop or mash the saved zucchini, then mix in the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning.
- Refill the zucchini halves with the mixture, then top with mozzarella cheese and black olives.*.
- Place the tray in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.**.
- *Since these are supposed to mimic pizza, you could use other toppings (pepperoni, sausage, etc.).
- **The longer the zucchini is in the oven, the softer it gets, so if you want firmer zucchini, feel free to take them out of the oven sooner.