Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I got this recipe from a local paper a long time ago and has remained an all-time favorite recipe, I always make it when I have lots of zucchini left over from my garden and I make more than one to freeze, this recipe can easily be made into muffins, you will *LOVE* this! :)
Top Review by Ohio Margaret
Here are a few additions to make the bread even better. Soak your raisins in hot water for about 10 minutes and drain. That will plump them up really nicely. Also, toast the nuts before adding to the batter. Also, I added toasted coconut as well, about 1/2-3/4 c. To toast, put nuts and coconut on sided cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes. Also, beat the egg/oil/sugar/vanilla mixture well, about 3+ minutes on med speed to make it light colored and frothy. Drain your shredded zucchini, about 10 minutes, pressing on it to release as much liquid as possible. That will prevent the bread from becoming soggy. Good idea to rotate bread pans at the half way minute mark to ensure even baking. Bread is fairly sweet. Next time I might cut down the sugar to 1 3/4 c.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups coarsely shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1 (14 ounce) canwell drained crushed pineapple
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees (second lowest rack).
- Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans, or mini loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla, continue beating until thick and foamy with a spoon, then stir in shredded zucchini and pineapple.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients together, then gently stir into zucchini/pineapple mixture just until blended.
- Add the chopped nut and raisins; stir to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly between two greased and floured 9x5 loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing.
- Muffin Variation: follow above recipe except nearly fill paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 24-30 minutes.