Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nifty way to utilize that ultra-bounty of zucchini from your garden. Processing time not included in cooking time.
- 4 quarts zucchini, peeled (either shredded or cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 46 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups lemon juice (the bottled kind)
- 3 cups sugar
- Mix zucchini with other ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Fill jars with hot mixture and cooking liquid, leaving ½-inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes (add 5 minutes over 1000 feet in elevation, and 10 minutes over 6000 feet).
This is such a fantastic idea for my bumper crop of zuchinni!! It has the sweetness of pineapple, just lacks the tartness, maybe next time I'll add a touch more lemon juice. I will use this again! Thanks for sharing!! :)
We have enjoyed this all winter long. I made this last summer and didn't want to review it until I had tried it. I also agree it is milder then regular pineapple but once baked you can't tell the difference. It does give off a faint odor that will give it away. I used this to make Blueberry Pineapple Buckle and it made for a milder pineapple taste but still great!
I know, it sounds crazy but it really tastes like pineapple. I prefer to use it in stir fry rather than baking. I also recommend adding yellow food coloring. It's another way to use extra zuchini in the summer.