Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Here is a great way to use those prolific zuks from your garden. Great on sandwiches or as a side.
- 3 lbs firm zucchini
- 2 lbs onions
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Thinly slice zucchini.
- Quarter onions and thinly slice.
- In large bowl, add enough water to cover zucchini and onions.
- Stir in pickling salt.
- Cover with ice for crisper vegetables.
- Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Drain, rinse and drain thoroughly.
- In large pot combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, celery salt and tumeric.
- Let stand 2 hours.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Pack vegetables and liquid into clean, hot pint jars.
- Wipe rims. Tighten lids.
- Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes (start timing when water boils). Makes 6 pints.