Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great way to use the larger zucchini from your garden.
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 0.25 ml black pepper
- olive oil, for frying (about 3 tbsp)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 411.06 g can crushed tomatoes
- 29.58 ml fresh basil, sliced or 9.85 ml dried basil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml capers
- 14.79 ml red onion, finely chopped
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- For tomato sauce, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a medium boil.
- Cook , stirring often, until reduced and thickened a bit.
- Add basil, capers, garlic and onion.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Rinse zucchini and pat dry.
- Cut into slices about 1/8 inch thick.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Beat eggs slightly in a deep pie plate.
- In another deep pie plate or shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and black pepper.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a medium skillet.
- Dip zucchini slices into beaten egg, then press both sides into crumb mixture.
- Add zucchini slices to hot oil and pan fry on each side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with tomato sauce.
5 stars! I loved this... the sauce is tangy and wonderful and a little spread on slices of Zucchini and eaten as an appitizer with the fingers is to be highly recommended. The dipped zucchini fried up quickly and easily and it dissapears just as fast. I used 1 large zucchini and found that one egg for dipping would have been enough as I had quite a lot left over. Next time I will start with one egg and add another if the egg mixture is getting low. Please see my rating system: an excellent 5 stars for a vegetable appitizer that wasn't hard to make and went down a treat. Thanks!