This is a really quick, simple, and flavorful sauté from The Victory Garden Cookbook. It can be served hot or cold, and reheats well.
- 1 lb zucchini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 -2 cup sliced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese (optional) or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives, to taste (optional)
- Wash, trim, and slice zucchini.
- Salt zucchini lightly and allow to drain for about ten minutes, then pat dry.
- Heat the butter and oil, sauté onions until wilted.
- Add the zucchini and peppers, cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, herbs, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- If the tomatoes are especially juicy, cook briefly over high heat to reduce pan juices.
- Remove from heat, stir in optional feta and olives or parmesan, if desired.