Recipe by Marz
From cooking Light. Have not tested this, but looks like a good recipe to try soon!.
Top Review by Lynne the Pirate Queen
A wonderful bread!! I had to make some changes, based dietary needs and what I had on hand: 1) I used two whole eggs in place of the egg substitute, and 2) because I'm allergic to yogurt and never have any in the house, I used 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and 1/2 cup *very* sour milk, blended together, in place of the yogurt, and 3) I used less salt -- only about 1/4 teaspoon -- because I have a kidney condition and need to limit my sodium intake. The bread still came out perfect... great flavor, fantastic texture (and I'm not usually a big fan of pecans!). This is a keeper!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, granulated sugar, and next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Spread zucchini onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Press down firmly to remove excess liquid.
- Combine yogurt, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in zucchini.
- Add zucchini mixture and 1/4 cup pecans to flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle batter with 3 tablespoons pecans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.