Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Healthy side dish, snack, or I even eat is as a main with a salad
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese (i use fat free)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons rice flour (or all-purpose)
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Grate Zucchini in a med. bowl, add egg whites and mix well.
- Add rest of the ingredients and salt and pepper to taste. If you prefer a firm patty add addition flour to thicken batter.
- Spray pan with cooking spray or light olive oil, drop by batter by tablespoon on hot pan, spread out slightly like you would a pancake, cook covered for 3-4 min over med heat till top starts to set.
- Flip and cook oncovered for approx 5 minute.
- Suggestion: you can sub yellow squash for Zuc. and ground flax or oats for wheat germ.
I followed this recipe exactly as written, using a non-stick skillet with a light coating of olive oil. I had a really hard time turning the patties...they stuck to the skillet and they stuck to my plastic spatula so I tried a metal one (even though I was in the non-stick skillet, I just was being careful). The patties stuck to just about anything they came into contact with! I ended up with a tray full of mushy, half-browned blobs of zucchini mixture, which was a bear to clean since the patties stuck to it. We still ate it, and the flavor was quite good, but the technique was not working for us. Sorry BA, this did not work out for us at all and my husband asked me to go back to my original zucchini pancake recipe (I was trying to lighten things up with yours).
GOOD! I added cashew pieces, grated parmesan and some minced garlic to make it the main course of the meal.