The large yellow flower buds opened up as wide as the plant would allow first thing in the morning as the sun crept up over the ridge. It was as if to grasp all the sunshine and dew it could as it continued to grow into a mature zucchini, bright green, strong, and solid. Once they start on their upward growth, zucchini, or any squash for that matter; don't stop. As with any garden during the summer months, the garden fairies do their magic and we are blessed with many zucchini, squash, and eggplants. Not very often, but sometimes, you just want to fairies to take a break, and not bring so many vegetables at one time, but alas; this is not the case. I put together this little recipe to warm the souls of all, and still incorporate the use of this nifty vegetable while pondering the many stories of the farm. Go ahead, take a breath, enjoy the work of the zucchini fairies and the nourishment the zucchini plant brings.
- 6 1⁄2 ounces ditalini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 zucchini, grated (medium)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cream (or half and half)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2⁄3 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped (or cilantro)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a oven proof baking dish, (approx. 2 qt.) with cooking spray.
- Grate zucchini, drain in colander removing excess water.
- Cook pasta in large saucepan, until al dente, drain well and set aside.
- Heat butter in frying pan, add spring onion and cook one minute.
- Add garlic and saute' for 1 minute.
- Add drained zucchini to pan, and cook for 4 minutes, or until soft. Cool slightly.
- Place eggs, cream, ricotta, mozzarella, ditalini, and half the Parmesan in a bowl and mix together well.
- Stir in zucchini mixture, adding salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if using.
- Place this mixture in dish, (be careful not to fill to brim) add sprinkle rest of Parmesan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until firm and golden.
- Add chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish after removing from oven.