Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
My modified version of a recipe from Whole Living magazine, July/Aug 2011. This is a delicious vegetable dish, and can be made with or without the olive oil. I have replaced the oil with fresh lemon juice and it has a very light and lovely flavor. My 12 year old loves it! NOTE: Serving size is estimated. Prep time includes marinade time.
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into very thin strips (can use orange or yellow pepper for color)
- 1⁄4 cup raw walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling (or just a spritz or 2 of olive oil)
- 1 medium sized zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise, then sliced into 1/2 inch long strips (I julienned mine with a julienne peeled, so the slices are very thin)
- sea salt (to taste)
OIL FREE OPTION
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- you can use 1 large tomato in place of the cherry tomatoes (deseeded and finely diced)
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, walnuts, basil and oil.
- Season with salt. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Toss with zucchini.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve immediately.
- OIL-FREE OPTION NOTE: If not using the full measure of oil, toss zucchini and other ingredients with a couple of spritzes of olive oil and then add the fresh lemon juice. Toss to coat.