Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
By making pasta out of zucchini and you have a guilt free delicious meal. This carb free meal is amazing. The Zucchini strips really taste like pasta and the sauce it fresh and perfect. Go to my Youtube or Facebook page: "Nikki Dinki Cooking" for a "How to" video on how to make this dish.
- 2 roasted peppers
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 hot red pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 large lemon, Zest and Juice
- 10 basil leaves
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese
- Roast peppers by charing peppers under the broiler and putting them into a bowl covered with saran wrap until cool and then remove skins.
- Roast eggplant at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Make Zucchini "pasta" by using a vegetable peeler and making thin strips of zucchini. Cut strips length wise to make them resemble fettuccine. Or use a julienne peeler and make spaghetti style strips. Put Zucchini is a colander and salt heavily. After 20 minutes rinse zucchini and squeeze out any extra water.
- Start sauce with a spray of cooking spray and add onion and garlic (and hot pepper if desired) cook until soft.
- Add tomato sauce and cook 10-15min.
- Add zucchini "pasta", fresh tomatoes and let simmer together for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, lemon zest and juice.
- Top with cheese and enjoy!
This recipe was fabulous! I didn't think something so healthy could taste that good. My zucchini noodles were questionable at first but they turned out great in the end. Watching the video really helped fill in the gaps for me. Thanks for sharing!
I'm not going to rate this one because I wasn't able to pull it off. I just couldn't get the zuchinni to peel nicely into fettuchini like strips. I didn't see the video until now, but I think the key is to lay the zuchinni down on the counter while peeling - I had mine standing up and needless to say it didn't work. I tried to make the sauce, and it says one large lemon and zest - I threw in about half the lemon and zest and it was really really lemony so I had to dilute it with several cans of tomato. So, I may try this one again sometime after watching the video, but I just thought I'd post this so other people can avoid the same tripups I had!
So yummy! I love to eat healthy, and this recipe allowed me to do that without sacrificing any flavor or portion size. There is a lot of prep, so my only suggestion would be to start some of the prep earlier in the day. It was the first time I used a Julienne peeler, and am glad I bought one, it's a great tool to have in the kitchen, it gives veggies a new spin.