Recipe by ciao
This is a great way to use up all that extra zucchini you have! Turn it into pasta! This dish is so good and easy! And for all you low-carbers out there, it fits the bill perfectly!
Top Review by yogi
This recipe is fantastic! I really didn't miss the pasta at all... really!! Since I don't eat meat I added a small handful of TVP (textured vegetable protein) to the tomatoes as they simmered and half of a vegetarian beef flavored bouillon cube. I knew the sausage would add lots of flavor so wanted to substitute it somehow. The long strips of zucchini did remind me of spagetti, and the sauce was perfect. I thought I'd be missing the onion in it but didn't at all. Oh, I also added a bit of crushed red pepper and used dried basil. Sorry about all the substitutions leeannr, but I must say that this is a delicious, easy and healthy meal. I really love it and will be making it often.
- 4 small zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 lb italian turkey sausage, cooked and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil, torn
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice clean, unpeeled zucchini into ribbons, using a vegetable peeler, and turning the zucchini as you go.
- Warm 1 TBSP olive oil in a saucepan, on medium heat.
- Saute the garlic briefly, and add tomatoes and oregano.
- Simmer uncovered for a few minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet.
- Add the zucchini.
- Stir for several minutes, until zucchini is soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then mix in the sauce.
- Add the sausage, stir well.
- Stir in basil, and transfer to a serving dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese.