Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
So easy and everything cooks in one pot. Really delicious!
- 1 medium onion, minced fine
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons uncooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated zucchini
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add broth and rice and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered about 10 minutes, then stir in zucchini, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered about 15 minutes until zucchini is tender.
- Beat together egg, cheese and parsley and gradually whisk into hot soup.
very good. i used madagascar pink rice, i added lemon zest to the egg mixture, and grated up a nice aged pecorino instead of the parmesan. my husband and i loved it, and i cannot wait to make it for my step-daughter.
When I buy a rotisserie chicken I make broth from the carcass and freeze it. So that's what I used in this recipe. I had a big Zuk from the garden that was getting just a little soft. Didn't want it to go to waste so I thought I'd give this a try. Other then using my own broth I followed this recipe to the letter and, "Oh My Goodness!" What a wonderful soup!! I did temper the egg and cheese and parsley mixture with broth because it a little thick to pour on it's own. DH is not a soup lover and I didn't expect him to even try it, he had two bowls! This was delicate and delicious, and so easy to make. Ten stars if I could! Thanks for a wonderful recipe!
With my Zucchini overload in the garden I've been on a search for ways to use it up. Glad I found this one. Quick, easy and full of flavor. I did add some left over turkey meat to it and about 1/4 cup of chopped celery to the onions when sauteing them. Since there is only 2 of us eating here - this made a lot. Will have left overs tonight and even had enough to freeze for another time. I'm thinking it's only going to improve with sitting. Thanks for posting