Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This will help get rid on your zucchini glut in a tasty way!
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 1⁄4 cups parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Progresso Italian-style fine bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 1 and 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Melt 1/2 the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Sauté zucchini in butter until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, red pepper, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini and toss gently to mix.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and even the top.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the parmesan cheese.
- Melt the remaining butter, drizzle onto crumb mixture and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle on the casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
Really good casserole! Some tips: I would recommend cooking the zucchini pretty thoroughly, until soft. Maybe it's the type of local zucchini I used (I live in China) or that the pieces were a little large, but the pieces continued to cook some in the casserole and so leached out a bit of water, making the casserole a bit looser than it would've been. Instead of bread crumbs, I used crushed corn flakes with italian seasonings for the topping--yum! And since I was low on parmesan, I used only about 1/4 cup--adding some wheat germ and whole corn flakes to round out the casserole and bulk it up a bit. It turned out yummy!
I love this! For those trying to lose weight, which I always am, or cut fat, some easy substitutions can be made. I left out butter completely, sauteeing the zucchini in cooking spray. I used fat-free mayo and fat-free sour cream, and substituted Eggbeaters for eggs. I eliminated butter from the Parmesan mixed with bread crumbs, too, and used a little shallot instead of onion to suit my family's taste. This came out wonderfully, and was simply gobbled down -- not the norm for zucchini around here. Many, many thanks.
Delicious! The only thing I did different was to leave out the breadcrumbs because I am doing the low carb thing. I used 2 large zucchini to equal 4 cups. Great recipe Di Neal - thanks!