Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is for all of you "eggplant parmesan" people! And especially for those of you with an abundance of garden fresh zucchini to use up, like myself! This is delicious! I like it even better than eggplant parm now and I didn't think that were possible! And even my husband who does not like eggplant loved this!
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups dry Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 -4 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dip zucchini slices in egg and then coat with breadcrumb mixture and bake on cookie sheets drizzled with olive oil until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes on each side.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Put one layer of"breaded" zucchini slices on top and coat with more sauce and a generous sprinkling of both cheeses.
- Repeat this procedure to use up all the zucchini.
- Cover with tin foil and bake approximately 30 minutes or until top layer of cheese is melted at 375 degrees.
This is truly outstanding! I didn't peel the zucchini and used my own marinara sauce. I did find the directions a bit confusing though. Step 1 says to preheat oven to 425 and step 6 says to bake at 375 degrees - it would be clearer if the directions stated to decrease oven temperature after step 2. All in all everyone really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
This is a really great recipe. I loved it and My DH really liked it, too. We had an abundance of tomatoes and made our own homemade spaghetti sauce, which I think added even more flavor. Like others, I did not remove the skin of the zucchini. I will definitely make this dish again next year. Thank you!
Absolutely delicious!! And super easy (which is a huge plus for me), since I stay busy with 2 kids, school, etc. I didn't realize we were out of breadcrumbs until I started prepping this dish, so I had to improvise and use crushed up saltines instead of breadcrumbs- did not effect the taste at all! Yum. Thank you for a wonderfully easy and delicious dish.