Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wonderful vegetarian dish! Number of servings is an estimate, since it will depend on how big the zucchinis are.
- 3 small zucchini or 2 large zucchini
- 3 -4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 12 -16 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons buttered bread crumbs (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash zucchini, remove ends, and slice into 1/3 inch coins. Slice the onion very thinly. Peel garlic.
- Beat eggs in shallow bowl.
- In a separate shallow bowl, combine flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, basil, oregano, seasoning salt, and bread crumbs. Stir to mix well.
- Dip sliced zucchini into egg mixture, then into flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and add whole garlic cloves. As the garlic cloves become golden, crush them into the oil using a fork. Remove garlic before it becomes brown.
- Place zucchini in hot oil. Don't overload the skillet as they should cook separated in the oil. Sprinkle a few slices of sliced onion over them. Turn zucchini over as they become golden brown and cook the other side.
- Remove zucchini and onions to a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste (and more garlic powder and onion powder, if desired).
- Arrange zucchini on the bottom of a greased 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle a layer of Parmesan cheese and a layer of mozzarella, then with a layer of tomato sauce. (Note: if tomatoes are ripe and in season, sliced ripe tomatoes may be substituted for the sauce in this dish).
- Continue to make layers of zucchini, cheeses, and sauce until all ingredients are used, ending with mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with buttered bread crumbs, if desired.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let cool for a couple minutes before serving.
Very, very tasty. Kind of a lot of trouble to fry the zucchini first, but occasionally will be worth it.
This was delicious! I used 2 medium zukes and it served 4 of us nicely. Thank you for the lovely recipe! Made for Everyday is a Holiday! :)