Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
An attempt to get some more vegetables into my kids. I've made these with various savory seasonings, (i.e., salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, rosemary). But this recipe is for the sweet version.
- 473.18 ml shredded zucchini
- 2 beaten eggs
- 59.14 ml whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml ground flax seeds
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml white sugar (optional)
- 2.46 ml cinnamon (optional)
- 0.25 ml clove (optional)
- Mix together all ingredients.
- heat frying pan on medium (i use non-stick, but you can lightly grease a regular pan instead).
- Cook batter one scoop at a time (approx 1/4 cup).
- Fry on each side until golden brown (2 minutes or so each side).
- Serve with applesauce (or syrup, or other pancake toppings).
Excellent way to use zucchini! I didn't have flaxseed so I substituted with 2 Tbs real butter. Added a tiny bit of salt and a dash of nutmeg which really gave them a lovely zing. Topped with maple syrup. Delicious! I'll be making these again!
I really liked the idea of these, but was a little unsure about what to do with the zucchini. After reading jellie's review I was a little paranoid and so ended up processing my zucchini so finely it was almost pulp - I then squeezed it dry. I used only 1 cup of this 'pulp' but it was a bit too fine. I think a texture somewhere in between the 2 extremes would work fine, then use 2 cups (but very lightly packed). I added a little extra flax and cinnamon, and extra baking powder because they didn't rise very well. The flavour was nice, but the pancakes were quite cold by the time I'd finished cooking a half batch. Next time I might add a little less zucchini or a little more flour/flax. They definitely have potential though. BF who said "there's no way I'm eating zucchini in pancakes" actually quite liked them.
I like zucchini and I like pancakes, but these just tasted eggy and slimy. I grated the zucchini on the large-holed grater - perhaps I should have made it finer? Very strong zucchini and egg taste, even with the optional seasonings (no sugar). I think they need salt as well. Sorry.