Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are really good and have the added bonus of very little fat! We eat these often during the summer, sometimes in place of oven "fries" made with potatoes. You can add some cayenne pepper for a kick if you want. Give them a try and tell me what you think! EDIT!: Given some reviewers advice, I tried them again. 45 minutes was way too long for us, we just ended up with a crispy shell and no zucchini left. But 30 minutes was very good, keeping the taste of the zucchini, with one turn. The problem with the "flouriness" not cooking away, I've found that if you spray them VERY well with cooking spray it resolves this problem for me. I'm editing the recipe to reflect this.
- 5 zucchini
- 1 egg white
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Trim zucchini and cut in half lengthwise, then slice into 1/4 inch wide sticks resembling french fries.
- Beat egg white with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add zucchini sticks, tossing to evenly coat.
- In paper bag, thoroughly shake flour, cornstarch, salt, and garlic powder until combined.
- Drop in the zucchini sticks, 5 or so at a time, and shake gently to coat.
- Place all on baking sheet, spray all sides very well with cooking spray to moisten the flour, and bake about 30 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown.
Oh my goodness! What a great substitute for french fries. I tried a low carb diet for a couple of weeks, a few months ago, and lost 7 pounds. I did not stay on it because the food choices were so limited. I tried a low-fat diet, that didn't work, so I'm back on low-carb. One of the things I crave is french fries, which I can't have on a low carb diet. I made this with soy flour and no corn starch to try and keep carbs down. It satisfied my french fry craving and can be a healthy food on any diet. Thank you, thank you.
DH made these tonight and they are fantastic! He didn't use even use an egg (we're out) and he used some seasoning salt instead of garlic salt. Nice change of pace from the usual steamed zucchini. And it smelled great, too!
Great fries! I used one large zuccini and one egg white... I cut down the other ingrediants in approximation, and it turned out fine. I think I cut the fries TOO thin becuase they were floppy, but still very yummy dipped in a fat-free ceaser sauce! Thanks!