Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is different from your usual squash recipe.A friend of mine brought it to a pot luck dinner 15 years ago and it has been a family favorite since then.
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut in 1/2 in cubes
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium zucchini or 4 small yellow squash
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 4 slices bread, toasted and cut in small cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- parmesan cheese
- Saute onions&bell pepper in margarine for 5 minutes,add squash that has been sliced and cubed.
- Saute 5 min more,add tomatoes, (break up whole tomatoes) cook 5 more minutes.
- Add bread cubes and seasonings.
- Put in 2 quart casserole,sprinkle top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.
This recipe is excellent!! We altered it by using (2) 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes with garlic and onions. We found by using two cans instead of one it turned out more moist. We definitely recommend this recipe. It has become one of our favorites!!!!
Absolutely delicious! I had an overabundance of squash this year and it was really a treat to prepare this dish, very easy and the kids LOVED it! They said they no longer want me to make it the old way (sauteed in butter) and asked if I could make it this way from now on.
I made this to take to our church's social. Folks RAVED about it!! I have to make copies of this recipe to hand out. Not one person that tried this disliked it. There wasn't even a bite left and that was the first time that happened to me. This will be a special occasion dish (and a "just because" dish) that will become a tradition with my family. Thanks a bunch for a delicious recipe!! Shelly P.