Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another way to use up tomatoes and zucchini out of your garden. I came up with this recipe when making another recipe.
- 2 medium zucchini (I also used magda squash) or 2 medium squash (I also used magda squash) or 3 small zucchini (I also used magda squash) or 3 small squash, of your choice trimmed, cut into 1/4 inch rounds (I also used magda squash)
- 3 -4 small ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- Using a casserole baking dish, place zucchini into layers; next place the onion slices over zucchini, place tomatoes over the top of the onions.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes, onions, zucchini that have been layered; Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper and basil OR thyme.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 25 or until zucchini is almost tender, Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake another 5 minutes.
My wonderful SIL gave me this recipe years ago.....only the cooking method is a bit different. My method is: in a skillet saute the chopped zucchini, minced garlic and white onion in 1 T olive oil, then add chopped tomatoes. Cook until heated through. Turn the heat down to low, add spices, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the mixture with fresh parmesan cheese and cover the skillet with a lid, cook until cheese melts. It is fast, easy and tastes really great. I have done this dish with an assortment of colourful tomatoes now available.
this dish was a hit for my husband and i; lots of veggies and lots of taste! i used fresh basil i had in the fridge and served it over rice. very healthy dish!
this was really easy to throw together and a lovely side dish. i used home grown tomatoes and thyme. roasting the vegetables the onions and zucchini get very sweet which is offset by the tartness of the tomatoes. i think i will add some balsamic vinegar next time.