Recipe by Lvs2Cook
A great way to use up that extra garden zucchini that's also good for lunch or a quick supper. This recipe comes from Southern Living.
Top Review by Marianne in Switzerland
I thought I could get away with just making it in the frying pan with the lid on, but the cheese and stuff keeps the heat from getting through. Luckily, I had the oven pre-heating, so I could "throw" the pan in there The tomatoes added just before grilling add some lovely colour!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- chopped seeded plum tomato
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Melt butter with oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini and onion, and sauté 12 to 14 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk together eggs with the milk, salt and pepper for least 1 minute, or until well blended, then pour over the vegetable mixture.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until set.
- Then, increase the oven temperature to broil, and broil 5 1/2 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Garnish with the tomato if desired.