Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The flavors in this dish really work together, there are never any leftovers and everyone always wants the recipe. Enjoy!!!
- 3 -4 zucchini
- 1 -2 large white onion
- olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper
- Slice onions into thin rings and saute in olive oil until clear.
- Slice zucchini into thin round slices, do the same with the tomatoes.
- Into a Pyrex dish (the size depends upon how much zucchini you have) layer as follows: (you should have 3 layers).
- One layer of zucchini (do not overlap).
- Thin layer of sautéed onions in olive oil.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- salt and black pepper (I use quite a bit).
- Keep layering until you have parmesan cheese on top (put quite a bit on the top layer, again with salt and pepper) then bake in 350 oven for about 45 minutes or until brown around the sides and bubbly and the zucchini is clear.
I normally sauté these 3 vegetables together and while it's tasty it ends up being a bit soft and pulpy. The vegetables really hold up better baked like this and the fresh parmesan in the layers and especially on top helps hold it together. I'm glad others mentioned adding garlic, I might not have thought of it, it really finishes off the flavor. This is terrific.
Absolutely delicious. I used 3 different types of heirloom homegrown tomatoes, and purple onions in mine.
Fantastic! I had this for brunch with Italian bread. I used cherry tomatoes and sauteed some garlic with the onions.